Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Manthing: Night of the Laughing Dead





Herb Davidson & Charlotte Sanders Manthing: Night of the Laughing Dead EP (Power, 1974)

The moment I graduated from Richie Rich to Marvel, the Fantastic Four, The Inhumans, the X-Men, and Manthing were THE comics on my adolescent shopping list. The Thing made the F4 a must buy. The Wolverine was the X-Men's hook. The Inhumans as a whole were just too damn cool (apparently too cool to exist longer than a year). But nothing this side of the Silver Surfer really was as strange and freakish and totally fun as the Manthing. So imagine the twinge of joy I felt when I stumbled on a Power Records issue of the Manthing!

I've come across Power Records comic/records for years: some I pick up, some I leave behind. Usually I listen to them once and swap them for something else. They are great inventions but there are others who need them more than I [like The Power Records Pages and Scar Stuff). This one though is a keeper. It has everything: a clown suicide, sideshow freaks, a ghost, and the Manthing! Enjoy.

Manthing Pt 1

Manthing Pt 2

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff H. said...

Thanks for posting this...I always liked Man-Thing, too (and still have a few issues) even though he's sort of a knock-off Swamp Thing, right down to the "scientist falls into swamp along with super-secret formula" origin.

The story's even weirder without the accompanying comic book. You have to strain your imagination a little.

March 30, 2007 at 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At one point this comic was titled "Giant Sized Man Thing"
-A

January 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll like this blog:

http://powerrecordsplaza.blogspot.com/

share&enjoy

December 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home